Skin diseases are mainly caused by the involvement of several micro-organism where Tinea is one amongst them. Tinea/Ringworm infection is caused by a distinct class of fungi. They thrive in keratin layer of the epidermis, nails and hair.
The serum fungal inhibitory factors in the extra vascular space prevent the penetration of the fungi in the living tissue.
- Poor nutrition,
- unhygienic conditions,
- hot and humid climate,
- More sweats ,
- Diabetes mellitus,
- Administration of corticosteroids and immunosuppressive agent,
- Close and intimate contact with infected persons, animals and fomites predispose to ringworm infection.
According to WHO prevalence rate of superficial mycotic infection is 20-25%.
According to Ayurveda all skin diseases are included under one heading of ‘Kushtha Roga’.
Causative factors of Kushtha Roga : -
- Incompatible food,
- Daytime sleeping,
- Suppression of natural urges,
- Excessive salty or spicy food, etc.
Clinical features of Dadru Kushtha are
In modern medicine science, Tinea is treated with topical or systemic antifungal, corticosteroids. Long-time usage of these can produce untoward effects.
The systemic and local use of Ayurvedic medicines has shown considerable effects in Tinea since ancient time.
Local application works faster due to physiological effect of heat on the skin.
These diseases are chronic in nature, relapses after successful treatment is common & hence difficult to cure.
It mostly occurs in those people who don’t follow the hygienic norms or those who are immuno-compromised.
Ayurveda has treasure of herbs and minerals benefitting the humanity and for tough to manage diseases physicians always seek a helping hand from these precious, efficacious herbs and no doubt herbs has always given smiles to mankind. Out of those a little bundle of efficient one based on our ancient knowledge are chosen, tested and formulated for felt tough to treat, recurrent skin trouble. Here are few of them…
Gandhak (Purified Sulphur) - is raktshodhak, Vranropak, Tachya. Acts locally by inhibiting growth of Fungus.
Motha (Cyperus rotundus) - ameliorates atopic dermatitis symptoms
Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora) - soothes itching, pruritic or rashes due to menthol
Bakuchi (Psoralea corylifolia) - relieves extensive itching, eruptions, thickened epidermis, rough and discoloured dermatosis due to Psoralen, Bakuchiol
Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus) - Inhibits mast cell degranulation and many more.
- Use topical anti-fungal powders in the body folds as they can help treat the infection and soothe pain and itching. Search for the talc free formula in the market as talc free preparation are gentle on infected skin and are non-carcinogenic & makes formulation less cakey. The talc based formulations occupy major percentage in the composition which make them less effective as compared to talc free.
- If suffering from diabetes, you need to take special care as diabetics are more prone to fungal infections due to the uncontrolled blood glucose levels.
- There is a high chance of recurrence of fungal infections if proper guidelines are not followed. Hence, treat all infected members in the family or workplace or else might be at a high risk of recurrence.
- It includes keeping washroom clean, washing clothes with disinfectant and using sanitizer to wash hands.
- Ayurveda recommends: an alkaline diet, low in sweet taste, bowels should be clean regularly, gentle laxative, high fiber diet.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes like jeans and tight underwear as it decreases breathability and traps heat and moisture in vagina. This becomes a feasible environment for yeast and bacteria to thrive and hence, further worsens the condition. Hence, wear loose clothes as it helps to prevent sweating and keep the area dry as much as possible.
- Avoid using swimming pools if you are having fungal infections as it not only moistens the skin and aids in the fungal growth but can also increase the chances of spreading it to others.
- Avoid overcrowded areas, if possible. And if you have to travel every day then ensure to take a shower once you reach home with an antibacterial soap.
All these are formulated in a single formulation for fungal and bacterial skin infections with improved clinical outcomes. AIMIL introduced a strong formulation which can address all the issues of resistance, fungi static drugs and relapse. DERMACHARGE the successful topical treatment of tough fungal and bacterial Infection. DERMACHARGE arrived with advanced anti-infective, anti-allergic natural formula to soothe symptoms such as burning, itching, cracking of the skin & discomfort caused by infection.