Getting older has its own pros and cons. One get more time to relax and enjoy life on the other hand many health challenges – occupy the major chunk. Among them are-
- Digestive troubles- of course can occur at any age but seems big challenge with aging.
- Arthritis: probably the condition that people 65 or older contend with.
- Osteoporosis: contribute to becoming less mobile and potentially disabled and have a fracture or as the vertebral bodies collapse.
- Diabetes: hitting at higher rate in spite of age marker, crippling the well-being.
- Cardiac diseases: As people age, they thrive with risk factors, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, that increases the chances of having a stroke or developing heart disease.
- Respiratory diseases: Chronic respiratory disease increase senior health risks, making them more vulnerable to respiratory infections affects quality of life.
- Falls: One-third of people who go to the emergency room for a fall may find themselves there again within one year.
- Depression: We all feel down from time to time, but if anyone is feeling low and out of sorts for longer periods of time, may be suffering from depression.
Bereavement a common trigger for depression. People are affected by bereavement in many different ways. There is no right or wrong way to feel, and it can take time to adjust. However, if you feel things aren’t improving for you, you might need help if:
- You neglect yourself or your family, for example you don’t eat properly
- You feel you can’t go on without the person you’ve lost
- The emotion is so intense it’s affecting your life.
- Sleep troubles: Sleep disturbances are a common concern as we get older, but they are not inevitable and there is much that can be done to relax and good sleep.
- Bladder and bowel problems: People of all ages can experience bladder control problems- including over 2.5 million people over 60 – yet many people keep it secret for years.
Facing the challenges
Once identified the risk, the priority is the early rehabilitation in order to reduce the impact of chronic conditions in functionality. The idea is to monitor health, not the disease.
Ayurvedic Management of Diseases of old age
Besides the rejuvenative approaches Ayurveda has notable potential to afford significant complementary therapeutic care in a range of diseases of the elderly and the same needs to be known to the practicing physicians of all streams.
Cardio protective in cases of Ischemic heart disease Arjuna, Guggulu and Puskarmula
Senile visual disorders: Triphala and Jyotismati
Immunodeficiency: Amrita and Amalaki
Shirodhara and Shirobasti in tension headaches and different kinds of neurodegenerative conditions are some of the potential areas where Ayurvedic treatment has promise. Similarly, the Pindasweda procedure of Keraliya Panchkarma therapy is known for its rehabilitative effect in many neurodegenerative conditions and myopathies.
For Healthy living:
Yoga therapy: The following yogic practices are beneficial in old age; however, these should be performed only under the guidance of qualified Yoga therapist. Duration should be decided by the yoga therapist.
- Breathing exercises (hand strech breathing, hand in and out breathing).
- Savasana, Vajrasana, Bhujangasana, Vakrasana, Salabhasana Gomukhasana, Pavanmuktasana, Katichakrasana, Ardhakati chakrasana, Tadasana, Sasangasana, Dhanurasana, Mayurasana, Paschimottanasana, Ustrasana etc.
- Practice of Pranayama (Chandra anuloma viloma, Nadisodhana, Ujjai, Bhastrika, Bhramari, Suryabhedana).
- Kunjala with lukewarm water, Sankha prakshalana, Jalaneti. Vastra dhauti.
- Deep relaxation techniques, Yoga nidra.
AIMIL Pharmaceuticals continuously working on the needs of the masses and to dampen the effects of health challenges associated with aging.
To make AGING to GRACEFUL & HEALTHY AGING.
Aimil Pharmaceuticals offers range of products:
To sort old age associated bladder problems: Neeri
To strengthen kidney functions which get co-morbidity due to diabetes and hypertension: Neeri KFT
To control diabetes mellitus but also provides benefits of system toning: Amree plus
Supplements pro bone minerals to maintain peak bone mass which is generally declines with aging: Boniheal
Supplements phytoestrogen to reduce the harsh effect of declining esrogen on the bones of aging: Boniheal
To meet geriatric group compliance with utmost advanced formulation Muscalt forte available in tablet/ syrup / oil spray not only relieve pain and arthritic deteriorating changes but also keep them mobile and independent.
Take away message
- Regular exercise / pranayama can help reduce the impact of several diseases, such as osteoporosis, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke.
- Regular exercise can also reduce arthritis-related pain, improve sleep, prevent falls and fractures, and improve low mood and memory.
- In fact, taking regular exercise is one of the best things you can do to remain independent.
- The good news is that any exercise is good for you. You don’t need to go to a gym! Try to find things that can be part of your everyday routine, such as simple chair-based exercises or walking to the shops.
No matter what’s your age you are never too late to make healthy changes in your life!